Home Decor for Pet Lovers: The 2017 Gift Guide

Little, handpainted Corgi planter with succulent in it.

There are always a few people on your holiday shopping list who are hard to shop for. You don’t know what size they wear, you’re not sure whether they like red or white wine, they seem to have everything they need…it can be stressful. But if any of the people on your list are pet lovers and love decorating, we have the answer. We’ve selected some beautiful home décor for pet lovers that will “Wow!” them with your taste and appeal to the pet lover in them.

Home Decor for Pet LoversPet Artwork

Pet themed artwork is always a hit with pet lovers. You can get oil paintings, silk-screen artwork, acrylics and just about every other kind of art for hanging on the wall. Etsy is a great source for pet-centric artwork. Kate Green’s animal themed artwork is contemporary with bold colors and looks like it could easily hang in a gallery show. We love her print “Dog on the Couch,” which is from her original acrylic painting. She also offers pillows, shower curtains and more in gorgeous colors featuring  a variety of animals. If you want something original, Karen Green will paint a custom portrait of your pet.

Home Decor for Pet LoversDog or Cat Throw Pillows

You’ll find these in just about every department store these days, but check out how well they are made before purchasing. Some will last for years, while others aren’t crafted well enough to withstand kids, dogs and being used as everything from a place to rest your head to a missile to throw at others. If you’re buying for someone with a pedigreed pooch, check out the Pedigree Poem Pillow at Uncommon Goods (#uncommongoods), with artwork by Patricia Carlin and poems by Martin Geller. Each poem captures the essence and personality of the breed portrayed.

Are You Asleep Yet? Cat looking over the edge of the pillow on black background

For something a bit more playful, the “Are You Asleep Yet?” pillow by Laura Graves will bring a chuckle from cat lovers who routinely see the same cat face just before falling to sleep. The monochromatic black and white color scheme makes it ideal for any room in the house. Visit Society 6 for more of Grave’s artwork, which also graces phone covers, wall prints and tote bags. You can easily find home decor for pet lovers at most home decor stores or online with so many sites now catering to both pet owners and home owners.

Singing Dog Welcome Mat "Ring the doorbell and let me sing you the song of my people."Its About Time You Got Home Cat Door Mat with angry, Maine Coon Cat face.Welcome Mats

You can find fun, inexpensive  welcome mats that show you’re devoted to your pets at almost any home goods store and online. At Signals, they offer at least a dozen pet themed door mats. For a dose of honesty and humor, consider the welcome mat that lets visitors know they’ll soon be serenaded by your soulful pooch. Cat lovers will prefer the “It’s About Time” door mat, complete with a full color image of a less than amused cat.

Decorative DishesWhite trinket dish with cat whiskers and pink ears and nose.

Home decor for pet lovers doesn’t have to be something large. Everyone can use a few more small, decorative dishes or trays to act as catch-alls on their dresser, vanity or end tables. At Etsy you can find an endless array of pet themed dishes and trays that will elevate even your loose change and ring holder to a small piece of art. Try a few search phrases like “dog ring tray,” “cat ring holder,” or “trinket tray” to find original, carefully crafted originals for a steal.

Planters

Little, handpainted Corgi planter with succulent in it.Kitty planter. Resting cats planter in antique bronze with plant in it. Home Decor for Pet LoversFor anyone with a green thumb, there are whimsical planters featuring an impressive array of breeds. The cheerful little Corgi planter on Amazon is sure to elicit smiles. We also found a metal planter featuring two friendly cat on The  Animal Rescue Site. It’s the perfect vessel for growing some fresh catnip for your favorite feline, and some of the profits go toward helping shelter pets.

Have you found a great deal on home decor for pet lovers? Share your favorite dog or cat themed decor items – a house is more like a home with a pet in it!

1. John

November 30, 2017 9:35 pm

I love the “Dog on the Couch” art print! Looks a lot like my dog. 🙂

2. Anita Aurit

December 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Great items, I love the plant holders but we can’t have anything live in the house as all five cats are chewers. I think my favorite is the “It’s about time you got home” cat door mat!

December 16, 2017 4:30 am

I’m thinking of getting my Mom the ‘It’s About Time…” doormat. She has a Maine Coon Cat that looks exactly like the one on the doormat. And he has an attitude to match as well!

December 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Those planters are really cute. We don’t have a lot of pet-themed decor but I love quirky decor.

December 16, 2017 4:28 am

I love the Corgi planter, too. I’ve never had a Corgi, but the expression on his face is so cute and happy, it makes me smile just to look at it.

4. Linda

December 15, 2017 10:25 pm

I love the “ring the doorbell and I’ll sing the song of my people” doormat. I have Chihuahuas and everyone knows how much they love to “sing the song of their people”!

December 16, 2017 12:43 am

Our pet-related decor around her is fur LOL That and a multitude of dog beds even though we just have one dog right now.

December 16, 2017 4:26 am

I understand completely about the dog beds. We only have Soldier, but he has dog beds in the family room, our bedroom and in the breakfast nook. After all, they have to have a comfortable resting place no matter what room they’re in!

December 16, 2017 12:46 am

This is a great idea for a gift round up list. I especially love the “Are you asleep yet?” pillow because it’s a very familiar site! LOL The planters would make a great gift for a co-worker.

7. Jessica @youdidwhatwithyourwiener

December 16, 2017 1:08 am

That corgi planter is adorable! I don’t have much dog-related decor but I do have a few wood blocks with sayings on them. I like them because they keep me motivated and remind me what’s important.

8. sherri

December 16, 2017 8:10 pm

I love the paintings, but I need that welcome mat. Warn people the dog is about to ‘go off’ before they press the button… or even approach the door.

9. Sonja

December 16, 2017 8:32 pm

AS a minimalist I am not that into things but that planter … I have a Corgi friend I MUST find this for. 🙂

December 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Sonja, you can find the Corgi planter on Amazon if you haven’t found it yet. With 2-day shipping you can still get it in plenty of time for Christmas!

10. Susan and the gang from Life with Dogs and Cats

December 16, 2017 9:25 pm

I love the Ring the doorbell and I’ll sing the song of my people door mat!
    —Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

11. Kamira

December 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I absolutely be agree, a house is more a home with a pet! These are lovely and original ideas. I never would have thought about dishware with pet themes before. I live the peek a boo pillow too. I have to check out your links.

December 18, 2017 3:45 pm

I hope you find the perfect gift when you’re checking out the links. I ended up with more than one of these for gifts to friends and family this year.

December 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Ooooohhh now even as a cat person I adore the corgi planter. it just made me go squeeee!!!

We have a series of pet portraits here at home and can recommend either one you love when you browse or a personal pet portrait! All of our cats will have a portrait by the time I am done!

13. Irene McHugh

December 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Love all of these gift ideas, but “Let me sing the song of my people” is hilarious on the door mat. How has that product not gone bacterial?

14. Deborah Fingerlow

December 18, 2017 12:16 am

I have the door mat. And the four beagles inside. 🙂

December 18, 2017 1:16 am

That corgi planter is adorable! I have a pretty good assortment of dog themed office supplies, but my favorite home decor pieces are custom portraits of my pets.

December 18, 2017 4:00 am

I used to collect beautiful cat themed pillows. I ran out of places to put them, so I stopped.

17. Sadie

December 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Those are all precious gifts! I especially love the Corgi planter.

18. Amelia Johnson

December 18, 2017 5:15 pm

I love to give gifts that are humorous so when my friends have a rough day, they can come home and see something that will make them laugh. These are all fun gifts. Thanks for the ideas.

December 19, 2017 1:45 am

These are lovely gift ideas! I love Pet and holiday throw pillows! They’re irresistible.

December 22, 2017 1:36 am

I have so many throw pillows in my house that my husband says that I need to get rid of one for each new one I bring into the house, LOL.

20. Rachel Sheppard

December 23, 2017 5:27 pm

The corgi planter is so cute! Also, I find that door mat to be hilarious! “Let me sing you the song of my people” Lol Thank you for sharing!

January 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Oh a planter. That’s one idea I hadn’t seen before. All of these are great ideas. Definitely a fan of the pillows too.